Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Service Learning

Combined (above) are the 6 most effective and useful images, courtesy of the students at the Broach School. They are scenario cards that, in my thesis/board game, a player may draw after rolling. Each card represents our poor decision making, as well as the effect of life getting in the way of our trivial quest for success. Now, on with the experience!

A trip to the Broach School in Bradenton. This was an exciting project. In relation to my thesis, I was able to discuss with some of the kids a portion of what I like to consider the travesties of the human condition. I initially asked a choice few students to seriously think about their preconceptions of two kinds of people: the homeless and the criminal. They drew portraits and mugshots (respectively) of both, and I've posted my favorite examples of both. After that, I asked them to talk about any of their experiences with either, and we all discussed what does and does not constitute both. The subject of guns came up, and one particular kid gave me his take on them, being that both he and his dad enjoy going off to ranges an firing them for sport. This came up after another student drew his criminal character with a gun, and we manage to resolve that those who own guns aren't necessarily bad people at all (though we all agreed that anyone carrying a gun in the open probably does not have the best intentions).

With the homeless portraits, they all seemed interested in drawing beards and beers in tow, and we had a further discussion about how anyone can be homeless, and not necessarily be a drunk or a beard wearer, though limited provisions do push a number of obvious suspects to have a problem with both. After a few laughs, I had them all collaborate on a piece that built on itself as it went from student to student: a house that tragically catches fire. Together, they enjoyed watching the piece develop, and encourage each other to add certain details here and there (you'll notice how the fire in sai picture sways one way outside, but is static inside; very cool). My aim was not to show them that the world is a cruel and senseless place, but to explain that though life can be cruel at times, that it's all just a small part of something bigger. After this point, paper ran low, and I had them draw each other as well as still lives, and we concluded with another student's 'drawing with light' project by the time actual drawing got to be a bit exhausting (I walked out with some fifteen pieces from a shifting four to five students).

These kids were great. Completely engaged, interested in what I had to say, and interested in teaching me a bit about their own lives, and their own perspectives. It was nice talking about some of the cartoons I grew up watching, seeing that they were still running and popular with modern youth (I do feel so old some times) and it was a wholly gratifying experience having a group of strangers help me with my own thesis. Should I ever get to do this again, I think I'll try to bring more paper. They all seemed to love to draw, and although none of them wanted to pursue their individual talents as a profession, they all spoke about enjoying it as a lasting hobby. Art is a great connection between any group of people, so long as they can find a happy medium, and ours was exploring what we think we know. As with any venture in life, I learned a lot from them, and I only hope I managed to leave something behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment